A brief description
A worm wicking bed is one which is able to wick water up from a water reservoir below. The plants are always watered at the correct rate and can never be over or under watered as long as there is water in the reservoir. This is great for worms as well as plants and with the worms right in with the plants, well that’s got to be good for them. Now I must say at this point this is all new to me too and we just finished and planted the bed out a few days ago. So for me this is all untested, but i am confident this is gonna be great. Scarecrow has had hers going for a few years now and she lives in a very hot and arid part of South Australia.
So here’s how we did it.
With the help of hubby Andrew who i must admit did most of the heavy work. We used treated sleepers to construct the frame 2.7m x 1m then we placed the frame at our chosen location taking into consideration sun and land slope etc. We excavated the soil with in the frame to about 10cm and tried to make the bottom as level as possible. A layer of medium course sand helped fill in the low spots.
We used a thick quality pond liner to line the bottom 20cm as this will retain the water. We used Agg pipe which came with a sock like cover to prevent the sand entering and clogging up the pipe.
The pipe is flexible so no elbows were necessary. I held the pipe in place with piece of old bike tube from my last puncture stapled into position. A drainage hole was drilled 15cm from the bottom and piece of irrigation pipe fitted through the hole to allow the water to drain out at that level. This hole is very important and can never be allowed to become blocked or you will risk flooding and drowning the roots. Filling up with water at this stage allowed us to test for leaks and also helped us get the sand level to the drain hole.
here comes the water trickling out.
Now this is the best thing. I couldn’t stand the thought of not knowing how the water level was going so i decided to install a dip stick using pvc pipe and a tomato stake. We drilled holes in the pipe and then covered with a frost cloth to allow water in and keep sand out. This basically just sits on the bottom and is only held in place by the sand and soil around it. I have since marked the stick to show full and half full levels. Now I will know when it’s time to water and can measure in time how quickly the reservoir empties.
On top of the Sand and water reservoir we put old hessian bags which have great wicking properties.
By far the longest task was mixing up the soil. I wanted to utilise the soil that came from the excavation which looked like it had a quite nice crumbly texture anyway.
The formula we used was:
4 x spadefuls of ground soil
3 x worm pure worm castings
1 x Brunnings coco fibre
1 x cheap potting mix ($2 special at Coles) no fertiliser added
1 x medium course sand (left over from the stuff we used on the bottom)
We mixed this up in the barrow with the spade. When we got to within 3-4 cm of full we just toped the rest up with the rest of the worm cast so this will more concentrated at the top.
So there...The finished product. Planted out with, butter head lettuce in the foreground also some chives, Silverbeet, Celery, seeds of Parsley and Spring onion and some Basil, Sage and Rocket to start. Yesterday i added about 500g of worms via 2 x feeding stations (described previous post). I will add another 500g worms next week. Stay tuned for updates.